- The mind once stretched never returns to its original dimensions.
- Growth is the goal of life.
- If it's to be, it's up to me!
- Knowledge, beliefs, and values govern action.
- Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right!
- Criteria of progress: Movement toward goals? Hw much? How fast?
Direction? Relationship to other changes or improvements?
- The Path to Change: self-concept --> beliefs --> expectations --> attitudes
--> goals --> behaviors --> results
- The ultimate goal of a society is quality of life!
- The major aims of education are to optimize the individual's development and empower the
individual to live well.
- Growth = Experience + Reflection
- Performance = Skill + Motivation
- Skill = Training + Experience
- Motivation = Attitude + Environment
- Motivation = Need + Expectations
- Education is superficially conceived when viewed as preparation for life.
Education IS life!
- After a mistake, say, 'I am smarter now. I have more information.'
- Set goals, not procedures. Whatever legally & morally works is the best
- Plan for experimentation and expect some failures.
- Time is the coinage of teaching.
- Challenge and security [support] must always be kept in balance.
- The good curriculum has rich, varied experiences; flexibly organized; with resources
appropriate to the needs and interests of the learners and instructors; and appropriate
- The ladder of success is never crowded at the top.
- They need to know that you care before they care what you know.
- None of us is as smart as all of us.
- We must BE before we can DO and we must do before we can HAVE.
- Discipline is a path to freedom.
- The overall key to motivation is involvement.
- We teachers are in the meaning-making business.
- In advanced societies, knowledge is the basis for almost all value.
- It is wise to dismount a dead horse!